Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fond of Fondue Chapter 2


Tamara and Jack drove out Friday night for a quick weekend and Jocelyn came down as well. What fun to have so many of us together! While grocery shopping yesterday, I thought how much fun it would be to have a fondue dinner with everyone on Sat. So while in the store, I called Tamara to see if she could bring out her electric fondue pot (Brent and Chelsea gave me a great electric fondue pot for Christmas).


So I'm shopping for dips and sauces, shrimp, beef, chix, breads, vegetables, fruit, chocolate...and cheese for the fondues. I asked the "cheese" lady at VONS for the best cheeses to use for a nonalcoholic fondue. She had lots of opinions and advice on how to make cheese fondue. I took the cheeses she had selected for me and listened to her advice. I think she was concerned about my ability (rightly so) and her last suggestion was to look up a recipe on foodnetwork.com! Well, I didn't look up a recipe but tried to follow her advice for the cheese fondue. It was a little thick and then clumpy - but it still was very tasty.


Everyone was given something to cut or chop for our fondue dinner. How wonderful to have a lot of counter space so that everyone could help! It was fun to cook slowly one bite at a time, eat and visit. We were glad Grandma could come down and join us too!

11 comments:

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

The fondue was a lot of fun! It was great to be together this weekend. Always too short!

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Good times were had by all. Although, I think Dad and Grandma forgot to smile in the picture. It's hard to tell if they're our friends or not from the facial expressions, but I know: we are friends.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

I guess, if we are smiling, we know we're friends (you can tell cause we're smiling). If someone's not smiling it must just be a fluke.

Joanne said...

I didn't serve any flukes for fondue! I just didn't warn people very well that I was taking a picture - shame on me. Next time, I'll be sure to say first, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty!"

Jocelyn Robertson said...

I guess you have to go to an exotic restaurant for fluke. I'm certain a "here kitty, kitty," call would ensure some good smiles in future pictures, since we are a group of wild animals.

CtrlAltJack said...

We really would have had to go to an exotic restaurant to get flukes. Flukes are commonly found throughout Africa, South American, the Middle East, and Asia.

Jocelyn Robertson said...

Do you have to pay extra at said exotic restaurant to have fruit fondue with flukes attached? I'm not sure I want to eat there after reading up on flukes, thanks to Jack.

Joanne said...

I think I saw a preserved fluke at Utah Valley Hospital when we took a tour as students of the labs. They had cupboards filled with jars of preserved items removed from returned missionaries! But how did we get on this topic?? Anyone have a favorite fondue recipe?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, fluke...sounds Delicious (not quite scrumptious right Tamara?)

Joanne said...

I just figured out why Dad wasn't smiling. Click and enlarge the picture and take a look at Dad. He might have been feeling a little bit of discomfort having daffodils growing out the top of his head!

Joanne said...

I just figured out why Dad wasn't smiling. Click and enlarge the picture and take a look at Dad. He might have been feeling a little bit of discomfort having daffodils growing out the top of his head!